Stanley Cup Finals Game 2 Vs Sharks

Game 2 started with both teams trying to establish control and it was an even first period with both goalies coming out sharp.   The Penguins were coming out shooting,but Martin Jones made some great saves to keep the game scoreless after twenty minutes.   The Penguins fore-checking was putting the pressure on the Sharks defense.

That pressure would finally pay off in the second period when Phil Kessel redirected a shot to give the Penguins a 1-0 lead.   They were able to keep the pressure on the Sharks, but didn’t increase the lead.  The were unable to score on the power play, and that is becoming a concern. The Penguins were able to hold the Sharks without a shot for 11:09. Ian Cole was called for interference late in the second period, but the Penguins were able to kill most of the penalty before the end of the period.

The Sharks came ready to play in the third period and had some great chances.   The Penguins had some great chances, but Jones made some great saves.    Justin Braun tied the game at 1 with 4:05 left in the third period.  Matt Murray made some big saves late in the period.  The game went into overtime with both teams looking for one big goal.

Overtime can end with the first 30 seconds or go on for several hours.   The Sharks got away with a too many men on the ice penalty.   However, the Penguins got lucky when Connor Sheary scored 2:35 in overtime for a 2-1 win and 2-0 series lead.   Credit Martin Jones for keeping the Sharks in the game.  After two off days Game 3 will take place at the SAP Center Saturday night with the faceoff at 8:00 P.M.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s